Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William L. Rose William L. Rose is offline

Default Rejuvenating basil

In article . com,
"Pete from Boston" wrote:

We planted a lot of basil (way too much) close together this year, with
the intent of thinning them once they got going. Well, fast-forward to
today, and we never really got around to that thinning until this week,
so the plants aren't doing as well as they should.

My question:

Is there anything in particular I could/should be doing for them to
give them a boost now that their living conditions have improved? I
feed the plants diluted fish fertilizer, water regularly, and they're
in bright sun most of the day. Just wondering if there's anything basil
likes with which I could help it realize its potential.

All I can tell you is what I see. I'm no expert. I've been growing basil
for about twelve years and I seem to be the most successful when they
are in pot with some shade. Not constant shade, but shade a couple of
time a day (a half hour's to an hour's duration) Mine are now about two
feet tall and about a foot and a half in diameter. I water them about
once a day (until the pot runs) and fish emulsion a couple a time during
the season. Good luck.