Old 01-08-2006, 09:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris[_1_] Mike Harris[_1_] is offline

Default Moths on Oak Trees

"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone
know what they are and how to treat. Thanks
Moths are furry flying insects.
Treat them like your in-laws with your wife present.
I couldn't find "not" live oaks anyplace. Must be a new species. 2
species are prevalent in the hill country. Another as well when
traveling east or south. None of which are of the "not" species.
I was unsure of the exact type of oak, is anyone able to help that is
not a wise ass.

If a buttload ton of leaves fall almost all at once from this specific
species of oak in early spring and quickly grows new leaves, its a
southern live oak or closely related Texas live oak. Some refer to this
as an "evergreen", which its not. Either can be referred to as Live Oak.

If leaves turn bright bright red or orange in fall and sheds these leaves
in fall, most likely a Shumard Red Oak. Not to be confused with a Texas
red oak which frequents further west in the hill country proper. There
are hybrids of both that occur naturally. All can be referred to as Red
Oak.

If neither fit the description, most likely planted there. Not native to
the area.

Its a Red oak and I have identified the moth as Gypsy Moths and have
discovered they are quite serious. Anyone know how to treat so they do not
return in the spring in a destructive stage. I have thousands of moths.

That is serious. Don't waste time writing us about the problem. This is no
time for half measures. Contact the Texas Department of Agriculture ASAP.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX