Old 29-07-2006, 01:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Moths on Oak Trees

I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone
know what they are and how to treat. Thanks
Old 29-07-2006, 01:46 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:26:56 -0500, Will wrote:

I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone
know what they are and how to treat. Thanks

They are moths and why do you want to treat?
Old 29-07-2006, 04:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Will" wrote in message
I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone know
what they are and how to treat. Thanks

Moths are furry flying insects.
Treat them like your in-laws with your wife present.
I couldn't find "not" live oaks anyplace. Must be a new species. 2 species
are prevalent in the hill country. Another as well when traveling east or
south. None of which are of the "not" species.
--
Jonny

Old 30-07-2006, 08:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone know
what they are and how to treat. Thanks

Moths are furry flying insects.
Treat them like your in-laws with your wife present.
I couldn't find "not" live oaks anyplace. Must be a new species. 2 species
are prevalent in the hill country. Another as well when traveling east or
south. None of which are of the "not" species.

I was unsure of the exact type of oak, is anyone able to help that is
not a wise ass.
Old 31-07-2006, 03:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone
know what they are and how to treat. Thanks

Moths are furry flying insects.
Treat them like your in-laws with your wife present.
I couldn't find "not" live oaks anyplace. Must be a new species. 2
species are prevalent in the hill country. Another as well when
traveling east or south. None of which are of the "not" species.

I was unsure of the exact type of oak, is anyone able to help that is not
a wise ass.

Don't get upset - the brevity of your OP practically *begged* for a wise
assed response. G

Moths themselves rarely... I'd be inclined to say never...do any damage -
although their larvae can be quite destructive. Is there a specific type of
damage that you think they're causing to your "not live oaks?" If so, maybe
you can describe it, thereby giving us a little bit more information.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
I have moths, lots of them on my oak trees, not the live oaks. Anyone
know what they are and how to treat. Thanks

Moths are furry flying insects.
Treat them like your in-laws with your wife present.
I couldn't find "not" live oaks anyplace. Must be a new species. 2
species are prevalent in the hill country. Another as well when
traveling east or south. None of which are of the "not" species.

I was unsure of the exact type of oak, is anyone able to help that is not
a wise ass.

If a buttload ton of leaves fall almost all at once from this specific
species of oak in early spring and quickly grows new leaves, its a southern
live oak or closely related Texas live oak. Some refer to this as an
"evergreen", which its not. Either can be referred to as Live Oak.

If leaves turn bright bright red or orange in fall and sheds these leaves in
fall, most likely a Shumard Red Oak. Not to be confused with a Texas red
oak which frequents further west in the hill country proper. There are
hybrids of both that occur naturally. All can be referred to as Red Oak.

If neither fit the description, most likely planted there. Not native to
the area.
--
Jonny

Old 01-08-2006, 08:46 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Its a Red oak and I have identified the moth as Gypsy Moths and have
discovered they are quite serious. Anyone know how to treat so they do
not return in the spring in a destructive stage. I have thousands of moths.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
[...]

That is serious. Don't waste time writing us about the problem. This is no
time for half measures. Contact the Texas Department of Agriculture ASAP.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:46:47 -0500, Will wrote:

Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Bacillus thurgiensis applied to the tree in spring when the worms are
out. They do not kill the tree. When they leave worm stage into
their cocoon new leaves grow. It's not quite serious, it's nature.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:20 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message

Bacillus thurgiensis applied to the tree in spring when the worms are
out. They do not kill the tree. When they leave worm stage into
their cocoon new leaves grow. It's not quite serious, it's nature.

Jangchub,

That is exactly wrong.

The gypsy moth is an imported pest with no natural enemies to keep it in
check here. Larvae have been known to kill trees through defoliation.

While your advice for using BT is accurate as it goes, the OP needs to
elicit professional help. In fact, if he *knows* that he has an infestation
of gypsy moths and does not report it to State and/or Federal authorities,
he may be in violation of Federal law and subject to arrest and prosecution.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 02-08-2006, 04:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:20:45 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .

Bacillus thurgiensis applied to the tree in spring when the worms are
out. They do not kill the tree. When they leave worm stage into
their cocoon new leaves grow. It's not quite serious, it's nature.

Jangchub,

That is exactly wrong.

The gypsy moth is an imported pest with no natural enemies to keep it in
check here. Larvae have been known to kill trees through defoliation.

While your advice for using BT is accurate as it goes, the OP needs to
elicit professional help. In fact, if he *knows* that he has an infestation
of gypsy moths and does not report it to State and/or Federal authorities,
he may be in violation of Federal law and subject to arrest and prosecution.

Report it to authorities? Shhhhh, I've seen the gypsy moths and I in
trouble now? Where did you read about prosecution for not reporting
it?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:29 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote:

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:20:45 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I don't know about requirements, but since there's
only been the ONE gypsy moth found in Central
Texas, and he says he has "thousands", perhaps the
original poster would be so kind as to report it
as a public service.

http://snipurl.com/ua8i
http://snipurl.com/ua8p

That's IF he's in Texas, and actually has gypsy
moths. I'm betting he's either "not from around
here", or has mis-identified his pest.

Will, seriously, talk to the pros at the Extension
Office in whatever county you're in. And let us
know what you find out.

Good luck!

DT

DT
Old 02-08-2006, 05:33 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:20:45 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Executive Order 13112 and 18 USC Sec 42 both imply possibility of criminal
penalties. While I doubt that the Feds would be that draconian towards the
OP, it is at least a theoretical possibility.

Whether you take it seriously or not - and apparently you don't - the USDA
and the Texas Dept of Agriculture do.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:33:28 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

Executive Order 13112 and 18 USC Sec 42 both imply possibility of criminal
penalties. While I doubt that the Feds would be that draconian towards the
OP, it is at least a theoretical possibility.

Whether you take it seriously or not - and apparently you don't - the USDA
and the Texas Dept of Agriculture do.

I lived on Long Island till I moved to Texas when I was 37 years old.
I lived through one of, if not THE worst infestations of gypsy moth
infestations the United States had seen. You could not walk one inch
without hitting the silks hanging on everything.

Spray trucks came out for about three years in a row in spring to
spray the Bt up into the trees and now the gypsy moth, aka inch worm
before it pupates are very manageable. I will take a look at this EO
if I can find it.

I would never wish for any ecological thing to go wrong for any reason
or for any life form.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:04 AM posted to austin.gardening

They are butterflies.

The moths, the moths pete Permaculture 6 14-12-2003 05:42 AM
Moths Annie United Kingdom 10 19-08-2003 02:05 AM
Surviving a plague of moths David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 30 13-08-2003 09:12 PM
Hawk Moths, Tomato Hornworms, and Nightshade Archie Ritter Edible Gardening 2 11-08-2003 07:32 PM
moths shannie United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 11:20 PM