Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
butch burton butch burton is offline

Default What is eating holes in my tomatoes?,,, vs Diatomaceous earth ?

ed wrote:
William L. Rose wrote:
In article ,
Maryc wrote:

Daniel Prince Wrote:
Something is eating holes in my tomatoes.

snip-snip

It could be grasshoppers, Tomato Hornworm or slugs. I use that
diometreus(excuse spelling) earth stuff on mine. It is a natural
product and non toxic to humans and animals but gets rid of the bugs.

Diatomaceous earth comes from diatoms which are various microscopic
one-celled or colonial algae of the class Bacillariophyceae, having cell
walls of silica. To a bug, it is like spreading broken glass all over
the place. Probably not good for your lungs, so try not to inhale it.

I see field mice eating mine, :-(,,, after a few lbs of poisen bait,
and limited results,
I would much rather use this method, think it will deter the mice ?
As I recall it's avail at pool supply stores ? TIA,,,, ed in Sacramento
Ca.

Cayenne pepper mixed with water - couple heaping tablespoons per gallon
and sprinkled on plants will stop rabbits and squirrels from munching -
won't harm plants. Don't know abut mice. A few of my tomatoes have
been attacked from the bottom by some kind of worm - must be the
hornworm - I put any infected tomato into the plastic gargabe can -
hopefully to control the spread.

Will Sevin work on hormworms?