Old 25-07-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What is eating holes in my tomatoes?

Something is eating holes in my tomatoes. The tomatoes are not
touching the ground. Here is a picture of two tomatoes with holes
in them:

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?im...thholescn1.jpg

What is eating these holes and what can I do about it? Thank you in
advance for all replies.
--
Never ever let your brain explode. It's VERY bad for you and
it leaves a terrible mess for someone to clean up.
Old 25-07-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ TQ is offline

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
Something is eating holes in my tomatoes. The tomatoes are not
touching the ground. Here is a picture of two tomatoes with holes
in them:

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?im...thholescn1.jpg

What is eating these holes and what can I do about it? Thank you in
advance for all replies.

Hornworm

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomolog...%20_damage.jpg
http://wihort.uwex.edu/fruitveggies/...4_image102.jpg

Old 28-07-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I'm thinking grasshoppers. The holes in my tomatoes look much the same.
But not knowing where you are it's just a guess. The grasshoppers here in
Texas are voracious.

Old 28-07-2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thomas said:

I'm thinking grasshoppers. The holes in my tomatoes look much the same.
But not knowing where you are it's just a guess. The grasshoppers here in
Texas are voracious.

That's my thought, too. (I've got more grasshoppers than usual this year.
More rabbits, too. Probably the weather last fall and winter.)

Hornworms usually devastate the leaves in a pretty noticable way in addition
to munching on the fruit.

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
.. .
Something is eating holes in my tomatoes. The tomatoes are not
touching the ground. Here is a picture of two tomatoes with holes
in them:

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?im...thholescn1.jpg

What is eating these holes and what can I do about it? Thank you in
advance for all replies.
--
Never ever let your brain explode. It's VERY bad for you and
it leaves a terrible mess for someone to clean up.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 28-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prince
Something is eating holes in my tomatoes. The tomatoes are not
touching the ground. Here is a picture of two tomatoes with holes
in them:

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?im...thholescn1.jpg

What is eating these holes and what can I do about it? Thank you in
advance for all replies.
--
Never ever let your brain explode. It's VERY bad for you and
it leaves a terrible mess for someone to clean up.

It could be grasshoppers, Tomato Hornworm or slugs. I use that diometreus(excuse spelling) earth stuff on mine. It is a natural product and non toxic to humans and animals but gets rid of the bugs.

Old 29-07-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://tinyurl.com/fpdyn

What is eating these holes and what can I do about it? Thank you in
advance for all replies.
--
Never ever let your brain explode. It's VERY bad for you and
it leaves a terrible mess for someone to clean up.

It could be grasshoppers, Tomato Hornworm or slugs. I use that
diometreus(excuse spelling) earth stuff on mine. It is a natural
product and non toxic to humans and animals but gets rid of the bugs.

Diatomaceous earth comes from diatoms which are various microscopic
one-celled or colonial algae of the class Bacillariophyceae, having cell
walls of silica. To a bug, it is like spreading broken glass all over
the place. Probably not good for your lungs, so try not to inhale it.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
ed ed is offline

Default What is eating holes in my tomatoes?,,, vs Diatomaceous earth ?

William L. Rose wrote:
In article ,
Maryc wrote:

Daniel Prince Wrote:
Something is eating holes in my tomatoes.

snip-snip

It could be grasshoppers, Tomato Hornworm or slugs. I use that
diometreus(excuse spelling) earth stuff on mine. It is a natural
product and non toxic to humans and animals but gets rid of the bugs.

Diatomaceous earth comes from diatoms which are various microscopic
one-celled or colonial algae of the class Bacillariophyceae, having cell
walls of silica. To a bug, it is like spreading broken glass all over
the place. Probably not good for your lungs, so try not to inhale it.

I see field mice eating mine, :-(,,, after a few lbs of poisen bait,
and limited results,
I would much rather use this method, think it will deter the mice ?
As I recall it's avail at pool supply stores ? TIA,,,, ed in Sacramento
Ca.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

ed wrote:
William L. Rose wrote:
In article ,
Maryc wrote:

Daniel Prince Wrote:
Something is eating holes in my tomatoes.

snip-snip

It could be grasshoppers, Tomato Hornworm or slugs. I use that
diometreus(excuse spelling) earth stuff on mine. It is a natural
product and non toxic to humans and animals but gets rid of the bugs.

Diatomaceous earth comes from diatoms which are various microscopic
one-celled or colonial algae of the class Bacillariophyceae, having cell
walls of silica. To a bug, it is like spreading broken glass all over
the place. Probably not good for your lungs, so try not to inhale it.

I see field mice eating mine, :-(,,, after a few lbs of poisen bait,
and limited results,
I would much rather use this method, think it will deter the mice ?
As I recall it's avail at pool supply stores ? TIA,,,, ed in Sacramento
Ca.

Cayenne pepper mixed with water - couple heaping tablespoons per gallon
and sprinkled on plants will stop rabbits and squirrels from munching -
won't harm plants. Don't know abut mice. A few of my tomatoes have
been attacked from the bottom by some kind of worm - must be the
hornworm - I put any infected tomato into the plastic gargabe can -
hopefully to control the spread.

Will Sevin work on hormworms?

Old 05-08-2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
ed ed is offline

Default field mice eating tomatoes vs Cayenne pepper mixed with water -

I sure will try that mixture, will start with the ripening fruit 1st!
This could be a win win for us and the soil, kewl, I'll post results in
few days.
thanks, ed

I see field mice eating mine, :-(,,, after a few lbs of poisen bait,
and limited results,
I would much rather use this Diatomaceous earth method, think it will deter the mice ?