Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Naturalising crocuses in a lawn

On 3/8/06 10:45, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 1/8/06 14:39, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

100 to 150. The best way to create a naturalised effect is to throw
handfuls of bulbs onto the area you want to plant and then plant them where
they fall.

Thanks Mike and Sacha. Now I need to measure that lawn...

Alla.

Just pace it out, assuming roughly one metre to one giant stride! Most
people keep one area of lawn for naturalising and leave the rest free of
bulbs. This is simply because you can't cut the lawn until about 6 weeks
have passed after the flowers die off. A lot of people don't like to leave
their lawn that shaggy just at the time of year it's starting to grow. We
have our naturalised bulbs under a big old cedar at the very bottom of the
main lawn and even though the daffs have some disease that stops them from
doing well, cyclamen, crocuses and bluebells all look really lovely there.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk