Old 04-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Barry H Barry H is offline
Registered User

Location: Sussex, UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook
I have an old apple tree in my garden which was there when we arrived.
It looks as though it has been neglected for 10+ years. It does crop
but the apples tend to be small - probably because there are too many
of them. The trunk kind of V's and my question is ... if I remove one
of the V's (about half the tree) would this kill the tree?

It would actually give the tree a better shape if I did this and I'm
hoping the apples (cookers) it produces would be bigger because there
would be less of them... any advice?
You are able to hard prune an apple tree. If the tree is very overgrown it would be best to do this over a period of a few years. That said you can still take out one quarter to a third of all the growth at a time for very overgrown trees - not to be done on a regular basis! So go ahead and remove that limb out. What will happen is that you will get a lot of young shoots next year. You then need to prune those and leave a few that will become the new framework. Leave the pruning until winter, after the leaves have fallen, but when it is very cold, like a frosty day. This is the best time annd it is easier because you can see what you are doing.

Barry
www.barryholdsworth.com