Old 04-08-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pines are dying

On 4 Aug 2006 09:14:13 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

I bought a house that has 20 white pines planted in the backyard to
provide a privacy shield for the neighbors. The problem is that pines
are dying one by one -- the needles become yellow and then the whole
pine dries up.

I talked to some people and they told me that this is because there is
too much water in the back of my yard. I tried to fix the water
problem, but the pines keep dying. So, I was wondering if you could
help me with some of the questions I have:

1. Is that a fact that pines don't like water? Could that be the
reverse -- there is not enough water or yellow needles is a clear
indication of a water problem?

I have several different pine trees in my yard. In one area there's a
high water table and that doesn't seem to hurt them.

2. Assuming there is too much water, is there a water resistant
evergreen that I can plant instead of white pines? Are all pines the
same, or some of them are more resilient to water problem?

It is better to plant different kinds of plants. There has been a
pine beetle issue in the past.

3. I was wondering about Green Giants -- are they more resilient than
pines?

The best pines are those that are native to your area. If you can dig
some up on the edge of a wooded area that would work well.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Evgueni