Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor david taylor is offline

Default Cardoon

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Are you one of the people who can distinguish bitter from sour? For
| example, which is bitter and which sour of lemon and grapefruit juice?
|
| Lemon sour
| Grapefruit bitter
| ?

About half of the UK can't do that. I am interested that you didn't
find them bitter, because the ones I ate were well blanched and as
bitter as hell.

I am indeed able to distinguish between bitterness and acidity. My
cardoons were insipid if you require a more accurate description.

A week ago I acidently put a flat bug into my mouth-it was sitting on the
other side of a raspberries I had picked.
It emmitted an extremely hot and bitter fluid. Charles Darwin used to keep
captured beetles in his mouth and had commented that on had emitted a bitter
discharge as a protective measure. Try one of these if you wish to broaden
your experience.
Regards
David T
Regards,