Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner mel turner is offline

Default Vine and Shrub ID

"tgdye" "TheHandof BaneNOSPAM"@comcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..

I am having trouble identifying a vine and shrub I found growing in my
backyard.

I have images of both plants here.
http://tgdye.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album10

Has the page been changed?
I see just seven images of one plant there, labelled "unidentified
shrub".

It's a Solanum species, S. nigrum or one of its close relatives,
in other words a "black nightshade".

http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life...num/index.html
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H355.htm
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/wee...americanum.htm
http://www.nappo.org/PRA-sheets/Solanumptychanthum.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_americanum
http://www.jstor.org/view/00029122/di001786/00p03306/0

[potatoes, tomatos, eggplant, etc. are all more distant Solanum species]

It's generally considered a herb, not a shrub or vine, but such
growth form boundaries are often pretty fuzzy.

USA
Zone 8
Both are probably ornamental/invasive species

The Shrub is 1m high
Leaves: Alternate, not toothed
Flowers: White 5 peatals
Fruit: is still green with attached sepals, and forms 1 to 4

The Vine
Leaves: Alternate, dark green, not toothed, alternate
Flowers: White, 4 petals
Fruit: None

Hope this helps.