Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Vine and Shrub ID

I am having trouble identifying a vine and shrub I found growing in my
backyard.

I have images of both plants here.
http://tgdye.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album10

USA
Zone 8
Both are probably ornamental/invasive species

The Shrub is 1m high
Leaves: Alternate, not toothed
Flowers: White 5 peatals
Fruit: is still green with attached sepals, and forms 1 to 4

The Vine
Leaves: Alternate, dark green, not toothed, alternate
Flowers: White, 4 petals
Fruit: None

Thanks for any help
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

You may want to remove this vine when you learn more about it. It is
Celastrus obovatus, a rather nasty weed. Kill it now!

Scott

--

We'll be returning to Zambia in 2007. Join us!
Habitat for Humanity Global Village Home Page http://www.habitat.org/GV/

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and both commonly succeed, and
are right" H.L. Mencken
. ..

Old 05-08-2006, 04:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

I didnt find any info on Celastrus obovatus, but the description of
Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet) is pretty close.

Thanks for the info, looks like its time to clean up the fenceline.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"tgdye" "TheHandof BaneNOSPAM"@comcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..

I am having trouble identifying a vine and shrub I found growing in my
backyard.

I have images of both plants here.
http://tgdye.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album10

Has the page been changed?
I see just seven images of one plant there, labelled "unidentified
shrub".

It's a Solanum species, S. nigrum or one of its close relatives,
in other words a "black nightshade".

http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life...num/index.html
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H355.htm
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/wee...americanum.htm
http://www.nappo.org/PRA-sheets/Solanumptychanthum.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_americanum
http://www.jstor.org/view/00029122/di001786/00p03306/0

[potatoes, tomatos, eggplant, etc. are all more distant Solanum species]

It's generally considered a herb, not a shrub or vine, but such
growth form boundaries are often pretty fuzzy.

USA
Zone 8
Both are probably ornamental/invasive species

The Shrub is 1m high
Leaves: Alternate, not toothed
Flowers: White 5 peatals
Fruit: is still green with attached sepals, and forms 1 to 4

The Vine
Leaves: Alternate, dark green, not toothed, alternate
Flowers: White, 4 petals
Fruit: None

Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:46 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner" schreef
Has the page been changed?
I see just seven images of one plant there, labelled "unidentified
shrub".

***
This was my experience also, when I accessed the page when it was first
announced. I was rather in a hurry and assumed it might be
browsed-dependent. Guess not.
* * *

It's a Solanum species, S. nigrum or one of its close relatives,
in other words a "black nightshade".

***
In this too I agree. I am seeing a /Solanum/ species.
PvR

Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

I changed the page and forgot to update the link.

Here is the link to the vine
http://tgdye.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album12

With help from another poster I have narrowed the id to
Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet).

Thanks for the information.

tgdye
Old 06-08-2006, 08:46 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"tgdye" "TheHandof BaneNOSPAM"@comcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..
I changed the page and forgot to update the link.

Here is the link to the vine
http://tgdye.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album12

With help from another poster I have narrowed the id to
Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet).

Thanks for the information.

Well, from the photos I think this vine is actually
Euonymus fortunei, a reasonably close relative of
Celastrus.

http://www.google.com/images?svnum=1...ei&btnG=Search
http://www.saengerhof.de/garden/klet...20fortunei.jpg

compare Celastrus:
http://www.google.com/images?q=Celas...=&start=0&sa=N
http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/stinger/GFG000198.jpg
http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/stinger/GFG000200.jpg
http://www.bg.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/koishi...2/0500512.html

[I vaguely recall a recent ID question here
about these same two species.]
cheers