Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default Clary sage, slugs, salt problem

I'd add that you should be using beer to attract and drown the sluggy little
buggers.

I've got slugs and snails going for my rhubarb plants. These are outside,
in teh ground, and so I tend to half-bury a cup 3/4 full of beer (only the
leftovers, of course!) right in between the plants. the slugs love the
smell of it (I suspect it's the yeast which makes them think there's
something nice and decomposing around to eat), and are lured into the cup -
where they subsequently drown.

I get about 10 - 14 slugs/snails from one evening to the next this way - and
you don't kill of the plants with the spilt beer, either!

Hope this helps,
- Steve.