Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Clary sage, slugs, salt problem

I have a lovely clary sage plant in a large lily pot. Last night,
daughter and I were sitting outside with a glass of wine when I noticed
a huge slug right in the middle of it. Instead of being sensible and
plucking it off the plant, I went and poured salt on it. Then I
promptly forgot it. This morning, all that remains of the slug is a
slimy mess and the plant has wilted over the sides of the pot. I have
tried sluicing it with water but hope I haven't killed it off. I don't
generally have much luck with clary sage and its leaves had been nibbled
by snails in places but this is quite a disaster, or so it seems. Does
anyone have any ideas, please? TIA
--
June Hughes
Old 13-07-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I have a lovely clary sage plant in a large lily pot. Last night,
daughter and I were sitting outside with a glass of wine when I

noticed
a huge slug right in the middle of it. Instead of being sensible and
plucking it off the plant, I went and poured salt on it. Then I
promptly forgot it. This morning, all that remains of the slug is a
slimy mess and the plant has wilted over the sides of the pot. I have
tried sluicing it with water but hope I haven't killed it off. I don't
generally have much luck with clary sage and its leaves had been

nibbled
by snails in places but this is quite a disaster, or so it seems. Does
anyone have any ideas, please? TIA
--
June Hughes

You have acted correctly in giving it plenty of water and it is best
that you continue to do so. Keep it out of the sun and in a cool place
for a while and hopefully it will recover. This site deals with soil
salinity, but I don't think it will help you much.
http://www.uwyo.edu/ces/PUBS/Wy988.pdf

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 13-07-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
[...]

Thanks Emrys. It is showing a little sign of life but the big leaves
have all flopped over the top of the pot. I shall continue the sluicing
and see what happens.
--
June Hughes
Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

I'd add that you should be using beer to attract and drown the sluggy little
buggers.

I've got slugs and snails going for my rhubarb plants. These are outside,
in teh ground, and so I tend to half-bury a cup 3/4 full of beer (only the
leftovers, of course!) right in between the plants. the slugs love the
smell of it (I suspect it's the yeast which makes them think there's
something nice and decomposing around to eat), and are lured into the cup -
where they subsequently drown.

I get about 10 - 14 slugs/snails from one evening to the next this way - and
you don't kill of the plants with the spilt beer, either!

Hope this helps,
- Steve.

SLUGS and salt $.o1 Andrew Burgess Ponds 6 01-07-2004 02:08 AM
SLUGS and salt $.o1 Mary kate Ponds 6 20-06-2004 04:03 PM
SLUGS and salt jammer Ponds 7 18-06-2004 08:07 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM