Old 19-03-2003, 02:44 PM
David C

Default A bleeding silver birch tree - should I worry ?

I needed to lop a couple of branches from a mature silver birch about
10 days ago. The branches are about 2 inches diameter, 6 feet from the
ground and were cut in the normal place just out from the trunk. Since
then the cut part has been dripping sap at a rate of about 2 drips a
second and is showing no signs of stopping or slowing.

Should I worry ? Or try and cap it/coat it with something ? I know the
sap is rising at this time of year but also I don't want the tree to
bleed to death !

Thanks,

David C