Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran[_1_] Gail Futoran[_1_] is offline

Default new rose garden - I have wierd bugs - not jap beatles help? - +blooming probs.

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kathy;
Not blooming is often tied up with pruning and light plus water and
food. Somewhat with bed prep. I suggest you go to ARS.com

That would be http://www.ars.org/
not .com

and browse
that site for expert advice. A healthy rose should bloom if it gets 6
hours direct sun each day. Remember that climbers often bloom on old
wood so prune with care.
Joe T
Baytown Tx.

Note; Lowe's sells good quality roses so I think you are safe there
without the name.
1. Soak the bed deeply each week.
2. Work some time release fertilizer into the bed.
3. Prune 1/3 off tall plants in early spring. ( one cane out of three
if you want taller plants).
4. Prune only 3rd year growth off climbers.
5. Spraying is so diverse that you will need to read the ARS site for
that.
6. Roses should show good health, new growth, blooms if you get these
steps correct.

Good advice.

In addition to online sources, I highly recommend
the Ortho series of soft-cover gardening books.
There are two (that I know of) on roses. These
books are fairly cheap and available just about
everywhere, including places like Lowes &
Home Depot.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8