Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Replace Concrete with a Lawn In a WET area With Poor Drainage

In article ,
An Oasis writes:

| You really don't want to use your grass in the winter! Walking on grass
| when it is frozen is not advisable.

He is in Northern IRELAND, not northern ICELAND, you know!

| I'm not sure why you think the project will be expensive, land drains,
| turf, top soil... are all cheap. The area is not very large. I think
| if you talk to the right company you might be surprised.

Er, no. It will be expensive - farm hardstandings aren't flimsy. At an
educated but amateur guess, the following would be needed:

There MUST be a ditch and drainage channels to ensure that water running
down from above does not run INTO the lawn, but runs round it. Don't
skimp on that one.

It is critical to break up the concrete thoroughly (preferably into bits
not more than 6" across) and to level it, but not necessary to remove it.

Drainage channels should be laid in the loose concrete or its underlayer,
from preference.

They should be covered to a depth of 6" (preferably more) with some free
draining material. This could be gravel, well broken-up and fairly clean
builders rubble, or whatever. This needs to be surrounded by a suitable
wall or earth/clay slope, to stop it escaping, of course.

That should be covered by a thin layer (2") of topsoil, and turves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.