Old 08-08-2006, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pookey pookey is offline

Default Replace Concrete with a Lawn In a WET area With Poor Drainage

He is in Northern IRELAND, not northern ICELAND, you know!

From some experience, Nick's recipe is pretty good. The concrete may

well be six inches thick, probably on a layer of rubble or stone, and
soil underneath will certainly be compacted. On a slope, though, just
meticulously breaking up the concrete to the size of coarse crushed
stone (a hell of a job) may provide enough drainage for ordinary
purposes; but that depends on the site.

thanks for all your advice, He is a she by the way, my names Paula.
Pookey is my cats name and he is a male, so I'll let you off

you guys are right about the concrete, it is around 5 inches thick and
is on a good base. We had a channel dug right across the yard (40
metres) under the wall and into the field for some electricity cables
to be layed and it was a massive job. It took 2 guys 3 days with a
digger and concrete saw and they wouldnt even have a cup of tea - they
worked solid!

I will get them back in to shift the concrete and to do any digging
work, I just need to come up with the plan of how to do the job.

at the moment i think removing the concrete, adding a layer of
gravel/small stones (quary dust maybe)???? followed by some sand/grit
and top soil with mixed sand sounds good with some drainage channels
around the outside edge. Do you think this would surfice or will I
need some porous drain channels added into the gravel bed?