Old 19-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Darby Wiggins

Default Traffic trampling on our Lawn

I agree. If you can't manage to stay away from a large snow drift, get off
the road.

darby

Warren wrote:

Darby Wiggins wrote:
when i was a child growing up in alaska, the snow use to cover the

lawns
and sidewalks to such a degree that folks wouldn't really know where

one
ends and the other begins. This was especially true for folks who

lived
on the corer of 2 streets. We had a neighbor who thought it would be a
good idea to put fairly large boulders on the edge of his property,

thus
keeping folks from cutting across his lawn. This worked great in the
summer when you could see the rocks......not so great when buried

under 5
feet of snow. Needless to say, folks had lots of complaints about him

and
how his rocks messed up their cars when they ran into/over them in the
winter....

I grew up in Wisconsin, so I'm familiar with 5' snow drifts, and I'll
submit that anyone who steers their car into a 5' snow drift, and gets
upset that they hit something should never be allowed to drive a car
again.

The only person who has half an excuse for running into boulders buried
in 5' of snow is the driver of the snow plow. And if the snow is 5'
deep, unless he's taking less than a 6-inch cut, he's going to be going
slow enough that a boulder isn't going to do anything more than stop
him, or roll out of the way.

Now a snowmobile running across the top of the snow may have some
problems, but I'm still going to stick with the concept that the driver
is responsible for what he runs into, even if it is partially buried.
Know your route, or go slow enough that a rock isn't going to cause any
damage.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.