Old 18-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Jan

Default Traffic trampling on our Lawn

Our house is on the corner lot and around our fence/lawn is the drive
way in the back and on the side. We have noticed that the cars while
going on the driveway are invariably trampling on our lawn. We have
notified our builder and he said he couldn't do anything as it is not
under warranty (we just moved into our new home 2 months ago) but
suggested that he could put a boulder on the lawn for $75.

Is this kind of problem not really under warranty? Is his suggestion
good to follow? Otherwise what can we do ourselves (wise and cheaper)
about it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jan
Texas
Old 18-03-2003, 05:56 PM
TakeThisOut

You gotta be nuts to think your builder is responsible for the fact that you
can't drive worth a shit.

What T F is this country coming to anyway???

Does it ever enter your tiny mind that sometimes, when shit happens, it's
entirely your fault and NO ONE ELSE is to blame but you???

Or no?

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 18-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Darby Wiggins

when i was a child growing up in alaska, the snow use to cover the lawns
and sidewalks to such a degree that folks wouldn't really know where one
ends and the other begins. This was especially true for folks who lived
on the corer of 2 streets. We had a neighbor who thought it would be a
good idea to put fairly large boulders on the edge of his property, thus
keeping folks from cutting across his lawn. This worked great in the
summer when you could see the rocks......not so great when buried under 5
feet of snow. Needless to say, folks had lots of complaints about him and
how his rocks messed up their cars when they ran into/over them in the
winter....

Darby

Old 19-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Warren

Darby Wiggins wrote:
when i was a child growing up in alaska, the snow use to cover the

lawns
and sidewalks to such a degree that folks wouldn't really know where

one
ends and the other begins. This was especially true for folks who

lived
on the corer of 2 streets. We had a neighbor who thought it would be a
good idea to put fairly large boulders on the edge of his property,

thus
keeping folks from cutting across his lawn. This worked great in the
summer when you could see the rocks......not so great when buried

under 5
feet of snow. Needless to say, folks had lots of complaints about him

and
how his rocks messed up their cars when they ran into/over them in the
winter....

I grew up in Wisconsin, so I'm familiar with 5' snow drifts, and I'll
submit that anyone who steers their car into a 5' snow drift, and gets
upset that they hit something should never be allowed to drive a car
again.

The only person who has half an excuse for running into boulders buried
in 5' of snow is the driver of the snow plow. And if the snow is 5'
deep, unless he's taking less than a 6-inch cut, he's going to be going
slow enough that a boulder isn't going to do anything more than stop
him, or roll out of the way.

Now a snowmobile running across the top of the snow may have some
problems, but I'm still going to stick with the concept that the driver
is responsible for what he runs into, even if it is partially buried.
Know your route, or go slow enough that a rock isn't going to cause any
damage.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 19-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Jan wrote:

Our house is on the corner lot and around our fence/lawn is the drive
way in the back and on the side. We have noticed that the cars while
going on the driveway are invariably trampling on our lawn. We have
notified our builder and he said he couldn't do anything as it is not
under warranty (we just moved into our new home 2 months ago) but
suggested that he could put a boulder on the lawn for $75.

He's gouging you. You don't need a huge boulder (nor would you want the
liability), and they're free for the taking everywhere.

Is this kind of problem not really under warranty? Is his suggestion
good to follow? Otherwise what can we do ourselves (wise and cheaper)
about it?

The boulder worked for me.

Also consider planting a whippy shrub, like a Forsythia. Won't damage
passing cars. Likewise, any damage to the plant will be minor and
will heal rapidly.
Old 19-03-2003, 12:20 PM
TOM KAN PA

Claymores!

Old 22-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Snooze

It wasn't clear from your if it was you or your neighbors driving over your
lawn. If it's you, then guess you guys just have to learn how drive
carefully. If it's your neighbors, then ask nicely if they could be careful
about not driving onto the lawn.

If that fails..it's amazing how a large immovable object magically improves
the driving ability of people who previously couldn't avoid driving. Start
with going to home depot, kmart or whatever and getting one of those
reflectors on a white plastic rod.

If that fails to discourage the drivers, you can temporarily just use a
fence post, which can later be dug out if the driving habits of others
suddenly improves.

om...