Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ellie Bentley Ellie Bentley is offline

Default 100s of slugs: pine needles, oat bran ?

Farm1 wrote:
I have mixed antipodean and European slugs (and European snails) and
I've found that stale beer in saucers or any of the yeast based toast
spreads like Marmite/Promite/Vegemite mixed with water to a soup or
cornflakes and Derris Dust mixed together and moistended works on
them.

Thanks, Farm1.

I'm trying to avoid saucers/containers of beer/granules being visible
all around the garden, if possible, though, yes, many people say
drowning them in beer is effective.

Re. Marmite etc, last night I crunched up bran flakes and spread them
around and this morning found the cats at them! I know they love
Marmite etc., so we'll have to avoid this option.

What is Derris Dust, please. (The cornflakes will be cheap enough.)

Ellie.