Old 07-08-2006, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 100s of slugs: pine needles, oat bran ?

Hi.

At 11pm last night we outside with bucket, torch, and forceps to see
what slugs we might catch. We were ASTOUNDED. Yesterday this valley in
western mid-Wales had its first rain since early June (yes, we've lost
several cherished shrubs owing to the dryness of the earth). We had
felt that the two months of no rain would have massively reduced the
slug population. But, no, the garden was alive with literally 100s of
slugs AND snails, of many different sub-species. After an hour we
became tired with the bending over and plucking from ground and decided
we had made a fair killing. The household bucket, filled with warm
soapy water, was one third full of slugs and snails. We walked 200
yards into the middle of an adjacent field and dumped them - one great
horrible wriggling gelatious mess about 16" in diameter and an inch or
so thick! Ugh!

Most interestingly the greatest concentrations of slugs and snails were
around the blue slug pellets we had put down yesterday afternoon, just
before the rain. Wherever there were pellets there were up to half a
dozen snails and slugs, some up to three inches long, all entertwined,
copulating, feeding, and, hopefully, dying. We use the slug pellets
which are safe for children/cats/birds, which activate only when wet,
and which break down to form a natural fertilizer . . . BUT they ARE
expensive.

We have read that putting lots of pine needles all over your garden
deters the blighters. How effective is this? Has anyone tried it?

We've also read that slugs and snails LOVE oat bran but it swells up
inside them and kills them. Has anyone tried this, and is this
effective and practical?

Best Wishes,
Ellie.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have the same problem and I'm afraid that we have tried nematodes,
eggshells and just about every other old wives tail to deter the buggers,
with little or no success. We too use pellets that contain deterrents for
animals and since we have no kids, it's not so much of a problem.

They are the only chemical treatments we use on the garden.

The dropping in a field idea sounds good, but believe it or not, I have
heard that snails and slugs have an excellent sense of direction and can
find their way back.

Nick
www.pennix.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ellie Bentley" wrote in message

We've also read that slugs and snails LOVE oat bran but it swells up
inside them and kills them. Has anyone tried this, and is this
effective and practical?

I have mixed antipodean and European slugs (and European snails) and
I've found that stale beer in saucers or any of the yeast based toast
spreads like Marmite/Promite/Vegemite mixed with water to a soup or
cornflakes and Derris Dust mixed together and moistended works on
them.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
I have mixed antipodean and European slugs (and European snails) and
I've found that stale beer in saucers or any of the yeast based toast
spreads like Marmite/Promite/Vegemite mixed with water to a soup or
cornflakes and Derris Dust mixed together and moistended works on
them.

Thanks, Farm1.

I'm trying to avoid saucers/containers of beer/granules being visible
all around the garden, if possible, though, yes, many people say
drowning them in beer is effective.

Re. Marmite etc, last night I crunched up bran flakes and spread them
around and this morning found the cats at them! I know they love
Marmite etc., so we'll have to avoid this option.

What is Derris Dust, please. (The cornflakes will be cheap enough.)

Ellie.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Byford wrote:
We have the same problem and I'm afraid that we have tried nematodes,
eggshells and just about every other old wives tail to deter the buggers,
with little or no success. We too use pellets that contain deterrents for
animals and since we have no kids, it's not so much of a problem.

They are the only chemical treatments we use on the garden.

The dropping in a field idea sounds good, but believe it or not, I have
heard that snails and slugs have an excellent sense of direction and can
find their way back.

Thanks, Nick.

I love the pictures of your birds on your site! Your photo of a jay is
beautiful, almost like a painting. We have much the same variety here.

Disappointed to hear that the old wives' tails have all been tried by
yourselves and found to work poorly. It was a book of such tails that
spurred my question. A neighbour gave it to me. (She disapproves of
our using the "chemical" pellets - although everything consists of
chemicals.)

I am beginning to think that the artful use of these pellets that
degrade into nutrients is the answer. I am finding it is better to
sprinkle them amongst the hiding places rather than close around the
plants you want to protect. Rock walls and dank corners seem to
harbour the buggers the most.

Re. their sense of direction . . . I will certainly start walking
further!

Ellie.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

1ce wrote:
Stupid fat slug. Shame we cant do the same to old sows like you.

1ce, I am neither old nor a sow. You however are either no enthusiastic
gardener of any proportion or an individual totally incapable of empathy
with gardeners who work in wet slug-infested areas of the country.

Don't bother to reply. You won't be read by me.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Ellie Bentley :

What is Derris Dust, please.

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm

It's an extract of various plants and kills insects and arachnids(spiders
lice and ticks), as well as fish.
--
Tim C.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim C. wrote:
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm

Thanks, Tim. That page suggests it might be better not to use the
stuff!

Ellie.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Farm1
writes

I've found that stale beer in saucers or any of the yeast based toast
spreads like Marmite/Promite/Vegemite mixed with water to a soup or
cornflakes and Derris Dust mixed together and moistended works on
them.

Strange because they say eating Marmite deters those Scottish midges as
well. ! I personally love Marmite but most of the family hate it! I must
try the Marmite soup idea.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article ,
Farm1 writes

I've found that stale beer in saucers or any of the yeast based toast
spreads like Marmite/Promite/Vegemite mixed with water to a soup or
cornflakes and Derris Dust mixed together and moistended works on
them.

Strange because they say eating Marmite deters those Scottish midges as
well. ! I personally love Marmite but most of the family hate it! I must
try the Marmite soup idea.

I like Marmite as well, but somehow never think of buying it when in the
Supermarket.

Alan

Wheat Bran silvertop_10 Gardening 0 10-04-2008 09:20 PM
Avena sterilis (Oat) A weed? [email protected] United Kingdom 14 21-03-2004 03:15 PM
Strawberries & pine needles Phil United Kingdom 0 20-06-2003 08:44 PM
orange spots on loblolly pine needles Nelson alt.forestry 1 17-05-2003 04:56 PM
Pine Needles as mulch? Peter United Kingdom 6 23-02-2003 12:04 AM