Old 08-08-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is Citrus OK for Composting?

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
ps.com...
We've got eleven orange trees and quite a few oranges wind up on the
ground throughout the year. We just got a composter, and I was
wondering if it's OK to put whole oranges in it? The oranges will have
been squished already, or partially eaten by our various squirrels,
etc., and we will be putting our kitchen waste and some grass clippings
and leaves in there as well. Thanks...

I heard somewhere that citrus isn't such a good thing to put in the compost.
Can't remember why - ?worms don't like it or something. I avoid it in mine,
just in case.

I recall that being an issue with store-bought fruit, due to
pesticides or some other chemical.

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/