Old 08-08-2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is Citrus OK for Composting?

We've got eleven orange trees and quite a few oranges wind up on the
ground throughout the year. We just got a composter, and I was
wondering if it's OK to put whole oranges in it? The oranges will have
been squished already, or partially eaten by our various squirrels,
etc., and we will be putting our kitchen waste and some grass clippings
and leaves in there as well. Thanks...

Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
We've got eleven orange trees and quite a few oranges wind up on the
ground throughout the year. We just got a composter, and I was
wondering if it's OK to put whole oranges in it? The oranges will have
been squished already, or partially eaten by our various squirrels,
etc., and we will be putting our kitchen waste and some grass clippings
and leaves in there as well. Thanks...

I heard somewhere that citrus isn't such a good thing to put in the compost.
Can't remember why - ?worms don't like it or something. I avoid it in mine,
just in case.

Jen

Old 08-08-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"Jen" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
We've got eleven orange trees and quite a few oranges wind up on the
ground throughout the year. We just got a composter, and I was
wondering if it's OK to put whole oranges in it? The oranges will have
been squished already, or partially eaten by our various squirrels,
etc., and we will be putting our kitchen waste and some grass clippings
and leaves in there as well. Thanks...

I heard somewhere that citrus isn't such a good thing to put in the
compost. Can't remember why - ?worms don't like it or something. I avoid
it in mine, just in case.

Jen

There's nothing wrong with oranges in compost. The pulp and juice are high
in nitrogen, so keep turning to avoid ammonia. At one time my compost was
made up mostly of coffee grounds and orange pulp and rinds. The only
problem is the high maintenance--turning nearly every day. It's possible
that worms don't like it when fresh, but that's vermiculture, not
composting.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7