Old 09-08-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Paradise Lost [was: Is Citrus OK for Composting?]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 02:15:03 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On 7 Aug 2006 17:22:37 -0700, wrote:

We've got eleven orange trees and quite a few oranges wind up on the
ground throughout the year. We just got a composter, and I was
wondering if it's OK to put whole oranges in it? The oranges will have
been squished already, or partially eaten by our various squirrels,
etc., and we will be putting our kitchen waste and some grass clippings
and leaves in there as well. Thanks...

They will compost fine. If you cut them up they will compost faster.
This reminds me when I lived in Downey, California--oranges everywhere,
rolling in the street gutters and all over the place.

Yeah, but that was way back when. Used to be (before I got out here)
they said you could drive through Riverside and get high on the smell
of orange blossoms...

A studio colleague of mine, years ago when I was at Warner's, was born
here in So.Calif; she remembered small planes landing in pastures,
and the aforesaid orange groves stretching for miles.

Sounds like Paradise Lost!

Persephone