Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Agave[_1_] Agave[_1_] is offline

Default best time to plant grass?

wrote:
From seed? What kind? Laying sod? Fill in bare patches only?

I'm planting from seed. I started a small patch, with some
seed/fertilizer mixture, and it's starting to sprout little bits just
like the instructions say it should. But before I do the whole rest of
our yard, I figure I should make sure it's the best time. Seems like
maybe I should wait for next spring? I don't know, there seem to be a
mixed bag of suggestions. Maybe it doesn't really matter.

The 'mixed bag of suggestions' seems to center around you needing to do
some more homework on the type of seed you're sowing. It appears though
that you're using some general purpose seed purchased at one of the home
stores, which may negate the need for the homework, since you're not
sowing a specific seed type. However, it still would be a good idea to
check into the subject as much as you can.

There was a show (Grow it and Mow it) on the DIY network about lawn
basics. As I recall, one of the questions was "when to plant seed", the
expert answered "anytime", as long as you do proper ground preparation,
seeding, and follow up care. It seems most failures are caused by
improper ground prep and follow up, mostly ground prep though. For
example, simply sowing seed on bare dirt that hasn't been properly
tilled may allow the seed to germinate and begin to grow, but not allow
it to establish a strong root structure, so it dies off after a few
weeks. Additionally, simply putting down a few inches of top soil on
compacted earth has the same effect due to soil stratification. If
you're sowing seed in an already established lawn, there's still prep
work that needs to be done, just different than bare earth.