Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
gonzo gonzo is offline

Default Large biodegrade-able pots

Greetings,

I've done a brief internet search and cannot seem to find anything
close to what I'm looking for, so I'm asking for some help locating
biodegradable pots.

I frequent a nursery in Michigan that uses these guys; they are various
sizes and appear to be made from some kind of heavy duty paper mache or
pressed fiber of some kind. These are NOT the dinky little peat pots
used for starting seeds - these guys are heavy duty appearing, but are
very light, wrinkledy surface, and they go into the ground and slowly
decay into hummus. The Michigan nursery uses them for hostas. The
most info I can get from the nursery is they are mail-ordered.

So my dilemma - I have a couple dozen plum or cherry trees living in
one of my raised beds, courtesy of an experiment last year (tossed seed
and skins onto compost bed), and I would like to shift them out before
they get too much larger. The ideal thing would be to pot them up into
these mythic pots and drop them elsewhere on the property. It takes
3-4 years for the pots to go, so I could move them again if needs must.

Does the description of this pot product ring any bells, and if so
please point me in the right direction! Alternatives considered, of
course, but I really do not want to use plastic when I "know" this
other product is out there.. somewhere!

Many thanks!