Old 11-08-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran[_1_] Gail Futoran[_1_] is offline

Default No sign of Life

"flimbin" wrote in message

I bought ten bare-rooted roses and planted them in March. They were all
planted together, the day after they arrived, in the same area of the
garden. 4 of the 10 have grown and flowered but the other 6 still show
no sign of life. How long should I wait before assuming they are dead?

--
flimbin

I would be tempted to assume the non-active
roses are dead after that long a time in the ground.
It should be easy to check: Are the canes dry
and brittle?

If that's the case, a 60% failure rate is bad
news. Either you were sold poor stock, or there
is some cultural problem (soil, water, pests,
competing plants nearby), or a combination of
those factors.

Planting bareroots can be tricky, too. If
you haven't done it before, it's possible you
didn't give the roses a good start. Some
roses will survive/thrive despite our best
efforts to kill them. Others will not.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA