Old 13-08-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Wisteria 'trees' - more Knightshayes!

I've seen Wisteria grown as free standing shrubs in the middle of a lawn
and, indeed, we're doing the same with one here. This will allow the
branches to sweep down onto the lawn in time. But yesterday at
Knightshayes we saw two planted in a formal area and grown with bare trunks
to about 5' above the ground and then allowed to branch forth as they
wished, just as trees would. The overall effect was of some giant Bonsai
and even though they weren't in flower the twisted branches and lovely bark
gave a magnificent impression. There was no sign of a supporting structure
now but I think there must have been in the beginning to get the trunk
straight and strong. There was also a very mature weeping silver pear,
Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula, which looked magnificent and made us wonder why
people don't grow it more.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk