Old 13-08-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wisteria 'trees' - more Knightshayes!

I've seen Wisteria grown as free standing shrubs in the middle of a lawn
and, indeed, we're doing the same with one here. This will allow the
branches to sweep down onto the lawn in time. But yesterday at
Knightshayes we saw two planted in a formal area and grown with bare trunks
to about 5' above the ground and then allowed to branch forth as they
wished, just as trees would. The overall effect was of some giant Bonsai
and even though they weren't in flower the twisted branches and lovely bark
gave a magnificent impression. There was no sign of a supporting structure
now but I think there must have been in the beginning to get the trunk
straight and strong. There was also a very mature weeping silver pear,
Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula, which looked magnificent and made us wonder why
people don't grow it more.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-08-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I have two freestanders - both supported.
I suppose that if they were in a very sheltered area, there would be no
need for supports once the "trunk" had matured.
You would also need to prune the laterals to ensure that the canopy was in
balance.
I have previously published a piccy of one of them here by url reference.

Good luck with yours !
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 13-08-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/8/06 12:43, in article , "Peter
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I've seen Wisteria grown as free standing shrubs in the middle of a lawn
and, indeed, we're doing the same with one here. This will allow the
branches to sweep down onto the lawn in time. But yesterday at
Knightshayes we saw two planted in a formal area and grown with bare
trunks
to about 5' above the ground and then allowed to branch forth as they
wished, just as trees would.

snip

I have two freestanders - both supported.
I suppose that if they were in a very sheltered area, there would be no
need for supports once the "trunk" had matured.
You would also need to prune the laterals to ensure that the canopy was in
balance.
I have previously published a piccy of one of them here by url reference.

Thank you. It's been in for three years now and so far, so good. Ours has
just a central supporting pole but I'm very tempted to add some spokes to
the top of that to force the Wisteria branches outwards a bit before they
trail downwards. And yes, I'm sure the Wisteria 'trees' at Knightshayes
must have been pruned so as to retain only the necessary branches that give
their lovely shape.

Old 13-08-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

The Weeping Pear in Regent's Park is probably the best and biggest.
Practically everyone thinks of it as a willow but is quite genuine and even
has minute fruits.
I agree that it makes a splendid tree but I fear that site would be
everything.
Best Wishes Brian