Old 19-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Jill

Default My new rockery....but what's either side?

"jo" wrote in message
Hello all,
I am about to embark on the building of a rockery in the widest curve of a
rather long (and completely new) border. I am in the process of trying to
decide what to plant either side of the rockery in order that the display

of
shrubs won't look odd alongside it (ie won't be too tall etc) and are in
keeping with the rock garden theme. The rockery will be a mound as

opposed
to a flatbed.

we have used heathers - surprisingly effective and you can really get the
transition in sizes effect and something flowering so interesting growth
colours all year arond
Lithospernum
Move into different sized saxifrages to keep the theme
Heucheras - again lots of sizes and great ground cover
with the last two plant bulbs for extra colour in almost all year
hide the leaves under the lush growth in the summer

have you any photos of the last one?

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

The border is in full sun (faces South), is fairly dry and consists of an
alkaline soil.
I created a wonderful rockery a number of years ago, but it was a

completely
separate feature and not in a border with other plants flanking it.
I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Jo