Old 18-03-2003, 09:00 PM
jo

Default My new rockery....but what's either side?

Hello all,
I am about to embark on the building of a rockery in the widest curve of a
rather long (and completely new) border. I am in the process of trying to
decide what to plant either side of the rockery in order that the display of
shrubs won't look odd alongside it (ie won't be too tall etc) and are in
keeping with the rock garden theme. The rockery will be a mound as opposed
to a flatbed.
The border is in full sun (faces South), is fairly dry and consists of an
alkaline soil.
I created a wonderful rockery a number of years ago, but it was a completely
separate feature and not in a border with other plants flanking it.
I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Jo

Old 19-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:51:45 -0000, "jo"
wrotc:

I created a wonderful rockery a number of years ago, but it was a completely
separate feature and not in a border with other plants flanking it.
I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Sounds as though you may be able to give us some advice. What do
you make of those saxifrages which turn into green fairy rings with
brown centres? If I haven't got a situation that is both sunny and
damp should I give up on them?

I do have a plant in mind to take you from rockery to herbaceous
border. Trouble is I can't, off hand, remember the name .. and it's
late.

Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 19-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:01:31 +0000, Hussein M.
wrotc:

I do have a plant in mind to take you from rockery to herbaceous
border. Trouble is I can't, off hand, remember the name .. and it's
late.

Veronica prostrata I believe. Careful it is quite invasive, (and weed
suppressant). Though it would be brought up short by the shade of
taller perennials, it would have to be watched on the rockery side.
Tough as old boots, can stand drought and very pretty blue flowers.
Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 19-03-2003, 11:08 AM
janet.bennett

Saw a useful tip on the TV recently. Lady planted up bulbs in pots, eg
crocuses, daffodils etc, and positioned them in her rockery. When they had
finished flowering, she removed the pots. Perhaps you could think about
doing this next year.

Old 19-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Jill

"jo" wrote in message
Hello all,
I am about to embark on the building of a rockery in the widest curve of a
rather long (and completely new) border. I am in the process of trying to
decide what to plant either side of the rockery in order that the display

of
shrubs won't look odd alongside it (ie won't be too tall etc) and are in
keeping with the rock garden theme. The rockery will be a mound as

opposed
to a flatbed.

we have used heathers - surprisingly effective and you can really get the
transition in sizes effect and something flowering so interesting growth
colours all year arond
Lithospernum
Move into different sized saxifrages to keep the theme
Heucheras - again lots of sizes and great ground cover
with the last two plant bulbs for extra colour in almost all year
hide the leaves under the lush growth in the summer

have you any photos of the last one?

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
OT. so Mac users aren't safe either Bob Hobden United Kingdom 0 28-10-2004 10:05 AM
What will grow well in containers in shade either now or next spring? andrea baker Edible Gardening 11 09-08-2003 02:33 PM
What will grow well in containers in shade either now or next Lynda Edible Gardening 1 19-07-2003 01:34 AM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM