Old 19-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Jill

Default Grape hyacinths

"jane taylor" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:46:30 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

~"JennyC" wrote in news:b5919a$270aso$1@ID-
~91345.news.dfncis.de:
~
~ I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
~ flowering (indoors)
~
~ A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
~ Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
~ them die down ??
~
~Whatever you prefer - unless you actually run the bulbs through a
~liquidiser they will cheerfully flower just the same next year!

I have a very stony and chalky rockery, and grape hyacinths don't
spread at all. Under a ceanothus bush, where there are some more, they
are not doing very well and I suspect they will die very soon. I
bought over a hundred bulbs last autumn to try and get a few more
going... so far all in pots, but as soon as I put them out I'll bet
anything they vanish yet again...

Then again I can't get bluebells to spread, either. About the only
things that do in my garden are welsh poppies, periwinkle (UGH!) and
primroses...

can you get hold of cheap pots -
simply repot once over in bulb compost
keep the pots out of the way during the summer
and then plant pots where you want tham when they start coming up again
As I am waiting to plant up around our poultry pens
I have lots of things tucked away - and as long as they get split or potted
up
I have been amazed at the resilience of so many things

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!