Old 14-08-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Wisteria 'trees' - more Knightshayes!

On 13/8/06 16:16, in article ,
"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
There was also a very mature weeping silver pear,
Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula, which looked magnificent and made us wonder

why
people don't grow it more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Weeping Pear in Regent's Park is probably the best and biggest.
Practically everyone thinks of it as a willow but is quite genuine and even
has minute fruits.
I agree that it makes a splendid tree but I fear that site would be
everything.

For size, do you mean? There's a very old one in the churchyard in Totnes
and it's not that enormous. It's not suitable for a small suburban lawn, I
grant you but equally, it's not going to take over half an acre. The one we
saw the other day was in a garden within the garden, beside a pond and
looked superb. When we got home, Ray found an old book called The English
Garden and there was a b&w photo of the tree as a youngster with a pole
training the leader upwards.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk