Old 19-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default The evolution of plants: some help please.

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
Your topic is much too broad.

I interpret the objective to write a report on *one* group of plants,
but the intended scope of the project wasn't clear to me. Not even if it
was a group of plants defined by a common ancestry, or by a common
environment.

Algae are not even considered real plants, as far as I know.

Land plants are nested within Green Algae (Charales is, IIRC, the sister
group to land plants). Whether Green Algae are plants is arbitrary; it
depends where the line is drawn.

Blue-green algae are prokaryotes (hence the alternative name of
cyanobacteria). There's several other groups of algae, which are not
plants by any plausible cladistic definition.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley