Old 15-08-2006, 08:24 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Did you see the price of tomatoes?

"catalpa" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

Jersey tomatoes are 99 cents a pound. Normal price for August.

I never used to pay any attention to the price of stuff at the shops until
we had the allotment, just followed the wife round and did what I was told
:-))

When we got the allotment, I started comparing the prices of stuff we were
growing. The thing that really staggered me was the price of soft fruit,
usually about £1.99 for a punnet, don't know what weight, but not a lot.
This year we've had goosegogs, redcurrants and blackcurrants by the
bucketful, blackberries doing the same right now, we must have had £300-400
worth of fruit at store prices. Oh, and rhubarb, raspberries and
strawberries. Mustn't forget them. Not many tomatoes this year though.

And the allotment?
£20.00 per year :-))

See it here - http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

Steve