Old 15-08-2006, 01:10 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Default Did you see the price of tomatoes?

I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

Old 15-08-2006, 03:02 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

I do love tomatoes, but they are running around $1.59 per lb.
Some nice big ones were on for $.98 per lb. today, but they do not have
anywhere _near_ the flavor of home grown......

I did not grow any this year. The price of water is too high. :-(
I'm going to convert one of my raised beds for tomatoes since the
asparagus is not doing well anyway, or try some container gardening to
conserve on water.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 15-08-2006, 03:27 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article .com,
"James" wrote:

I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

I do love tomatoes, but they are running around $1.59 per lb.
Some nice big ones were on for $.98 per lb. today, but they do not have
anywhere _near_ the flavor of home grown......

Yes, stores sell something called a tomatoe, but it bears no resemble
to the tomatoes grow in my garden

I also notice that so called "roadside stands" are also starting to
sell this pale looking baseball like "tomatoe" thingy, and cost more
then at the store, what's up with that?

Old 15-08-2006, 04:40 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

On 8/14/06 7:27 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

Yes, stores sell something called a tomatoe, but it bears no resemble
to the tomatoes grow in my garden

I also notice that so called "roadside stands" are also starting to
sell this pale looking baseball like "tomatoe" thingy, and cost more
then at the store, what's up with that?

If those pale thingies are momataro tomatoes, then they can be superb.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

Old 15-08-2006, 04:59 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

Jersey tomatoes are 99 cents a pound. Normal price for August.

Old 15-08-2006, 08:24 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"catalpa" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

Jersey tomatoes are 99 cents a pound. Normal price for August.

I never used to pay any attention to the price of stuff at the shops until
we had the allotment, just followed the wife round and did what I was told
:-))

When we got the allotment, I started comparing the prices of stuff we were
growing. The thing that really staggered me was the price of soft fruit,
usually about £1.99 for a punnet, don't know what weight, but not a lot.
This year we've had goosegogs, redcurrants and blackcurrants by the
bucketful, blackberries doing the same right now, we must have had £300-400
worth of fruit at store prices. Oh, and rhubarb, raspberries and
strawberries. Mustn't forget them. Not many tomatoes this year though.

And the allotment?
£20.00 per year :-))

See it here - http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

Steve

Old 15-08-2006, 11:14 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

I am happy that my garden is actually paying for itself this year. Too
bad I don't love tomatoes.

They're practically giving them away at the alloments and in the market
they were 15p a pound.
Old 19-08-2006, 03:33 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:

I really am craving a good garden tomato.
I'll have to try to remember to hit the farmers market tomorrow
afternoon!

I can't imagine having a garden without tomatoes. Hopefully you'll
figure out a way to have a few next summer!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Old 19-08-2006, 04:16 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:

I really am craving a good garden tomato.
I'll have to try to remember to hit the farmers market tomorrow
afternoon!

I can't imagine having a garden without tomatoes. Hopefully you'll
figure out a way to have a few next summer!

I just need to set up the greenhouses properly this fall. I want to turn
them so that they get better sunlight on one wall with less wasted
space. The doors are turned the wrong way. Then I'm going to put them
into 5 gallon pots with water trays!

That should cut back on the expense considerably. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson