Old 15-08-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty-\) kenty-\) is offline

Default bland taste tomatoes

"Robert" wrote in message

"MrBlueSkye" apbz91@noSpam dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
:
: "Peter C" wrote in message
: ups.com...
:
: kenty;-) wrote:
: I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
: costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to taste
: very
: similar.what determines the taste?
: Cheers Keith
:
: Variety of tomatoes grown. I have Gardeners Delight , Shirley and
: Alicante Can taste the difference but must admit the taste does not
: vary much apart from the Gardeners Delight are much sweeter
: Taste Buds also come to mind! All are much tastier than some shop
: bought ones
: Peter.
:
: My favourites for flavour are marmand and roma plum tomatoes
: MBS
:
If you water to excess it can take away from the flavour. Ones that are
watered only as much as they need are much tastier but it is a fine line
draw in the heat we had

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

They have held the water alot better this year as i have bubble insulation &
paint on shading.I also doubled up grow bags & also planted the toms into
pots through into grow bags ie like ring culture.So they didnt really fully
dry even in the hot weather .I will try letting them dry a little more next
year.I will also try more varieties suggested.
Cheers Keith