Old 14-08-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bland taste tomatoes

I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to taste very
similar.what determines the taste?
Cheers Keith

Old 15-08-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kenty;-) wrote:
I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to taste very
similar.what determines the taste?
Cheers Keith

Variety of tomatoes grown. I have Gardeners Delight , Shirley and
Alicante Can taste the difference but must admit the taste does not
vary much apart from the Gardeners Delight are much sweeter
Taste Buds also come to mind! All are much tastier than some shop
bought ones
Peter.

Old 15-08-2006, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter C" wrote in message
ups.com...

kenty;-) wrote:
I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to taste
very
similar.what determines the taste?
Cheers Keith

Variety of tomatoes grown. I have Gardeners Delight , Shirley and
Alicante Can taste the difference but must admit the taste does not
vary much apart from the Gardeners Delight are much sweeter
Taste Buds also come to mind! All are much tastier than some shop
bought ones
Peter.

My favourites for flavour are marmand and roma plum tomatoes
MBS

Old 15-08-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MrBlueSkye" apbz91@noSpam dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
:
: "Peter C" wrote in message
: ups.com...
:
: kenty;-) wrote:
: I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
: costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to taste
: very
: similar.what determines the taste?
: Cheers Keith
:
: Variety of tomatoes grown. I have Gardeners Delight , Shirley and
: Alicante Can taste the difference but must admit the taste does not
: vary much apart from the Gardeners Delight are much sweeter
: Taste Buds also come to mind! All are much tastier than some shop
: bought ones
: Peter.
:
: My favourites for flavour are marmand and roma plum tomatoes
: MBS
:
If you water to excess it can take away from the flavour. Ones that are
watered only as much as they need are much tastier but it is a fine line to
draw in the heat we had

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 15-08-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message

"MrBlueSkye" apbz91@noSpam dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
:
: "Peter C" wrote in message
: ups.com...
:
: kenty;-) wrote:
[...]

They have held the water alot better this year as i have bubble insulation &
paint on shading.I also doubled up grow bags & also planted the toms into
pots through into grow bags ie like ring culture.So they didnt really fully
dry even in the hot weather .I will try letting them dry a little more next
year.I will also try more varieties suggested.
Cheers Keith

Old 15-08-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MrBlueSkye" apbz91@noSpam dsl.pipex.com wrote in message

"Peter C" wrote in message
ups.com...

kenty;-) wrote:
I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to
taste very
similar.what determines the taste?
Cheers Keith

Variety of tomatoes grown. I have Gardeners Delight , Shirley and
Alicante Can taste the difference but must admit the taste does not
vary much apart from the Gardeners Delight are much sweeter
Taste Buds also come to mind! All are much tastier than some shop
bought ones
Peter.

My favourites for flavour are marmand and roma plum tomatoes
MBS

My three bankers this year were.......
Sweet Million, Shirley and Gourmet (Unwins seed). Truss-breaking
crops from all three and all with excellent flavour. I shall certainly
grow these again.
The only problems I had was split fruit, but this was my fault. By over
watering during very hot weather I over compensated when the containers
appeared to be too dry....... but apparently weren't.
Incidentally, I also applied two teaspoons of salt to each plant at
green fruit stage. I found this tip in an old archive decades old.
Apparently it's supposed to improve flavour... but I don't know whether
it worked cos I didn't have a comparison. It didn't do any harm though.

PP.

Old 15-08-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

kenty;-) wrote:
I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to taste very
similar.what determines the taste?
Cheers Keith

I think what you feed them on has a bearing on the flavour.
Me, I use liquid seaweed extract and get excellent results
The soil is also organic.
Varieties : Shirley ( for the Plucky Little Woman), and ugly
misshapen overweight Brandywine for me.
Believe me, after Brandywine all the rest are just termayders.