Old 15-08-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior[_1_] FragileWarrior[_1_] is offline

Default fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

" wrote in
ps.com:

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)

Thank you for all suggestions.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

If you have animals in your yard, you might want to look into the mints.
I used to love it when the animals would brush against all that greenery
-- topped with purple flowers, of course -- and the various smells of
mint would linger in the air for a very long time.

And I'm not sure (someone double check me on this) but isn't Verbena
quite fragrant and shade loving?