Old 16-08-2006, 07:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] brucef@eudoramail.com is offline

Default Ornamental tree

Mike Bateman wrote:
I live in SA southern coastal area and would like some information or advice
on what ornamental deciduous tree to plant. I am looking for a bit of
colour / flowers and up to a maximum height/width of 3m x 2m.

You could look at the chinese tallow. We have a few of these here
in Perth, no idea how they would do in SA. Lovely structure, small
heart shaped leaves, light green with beautiful autumn colour. Flower
is a small candle-like thing, not colourful.. It is a smallish tree.
It will eventually outgrow your 3m limit, but it is pretty slow
growing.

I have heard people in the US refer to the chinese tallow as a pest
tree, but it certainly doesn't seem to grow weedlike here. Maybe
it is a different species with the same common name.