Old 08-08-2006, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Ornamental tree

I live in SA southern coastal area and would like some information or advice
on what ornamental deciduous tree to plant. I am looking for a bit of
colour / flowers and up to a maximum height/width of 3m x 2m.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike

Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Mike

Have you thought about a Bauhinia? I wanted something similar to your
description and bought one at a local nursery. They aren't frost
tolerant though, so it depends how close to the coast you live. There
are various shades of pink (mine's the darkest) to almost a white/cream.

One or two flowers are starting to open on mine at the moment but they
are quite spectacular.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 08-08-2006, 08:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

Many thanks Bronwyn, I shall be checking out Bunnings at the weekend for one
of those. It does get pretty chilly here and a fair bit of dew but havent
seen any frost yet. I am about 1 km from the beach so I think it should be
ok here.
Cheers
Mike

Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article 1155018073.416889@teuthos, "Mike Bateman"
wrote:

I live in SA southern coastal area and would like some information or advice
on what ornamental deciduous tree to plant. I am looking for a bit of
colour / flowers and up to a maximum height/width of 3m x 2m.
Any suggestions?

I suggest you be more precise --

* Evergreen or deciduous?
* Sunny or shady position? Is it a windy spot or sheltered?
* How is the soil and drainage?
* What colour flowers? Blooming at what time of year?
* What sort of leaf shape?
* What tone -- blue-green, grey-green, yellow-green...?
* What shape of tree?
* Wht other plants does it need to harmmonise with?

To be quite honest, it would be hard to find a *tree* that only grows to 3m.
Is there some reason not to get a taller plant, eg overhead wires? Is there
any reason you can't have a shrub instead?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:53:35 +0930, "Mike" wrote:

Many thanks Bronwyn, I shall be checking out Bunnings at the weekend for one
of those. It does get pretty chilly here and a fair bit of dew but havent
seen any frost yet. I am about 1 km from the beach so I think it should be
ok here.

Don't shop for plants at Bunnings. Support your local nursery.

Old 16-08-2006, 07:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Mike Bateman wrote:
I live in SA southern coastal area and would like some information or advice
on what ornamental deciduous tree to plant. I am looking for a bit of
colour / flowers and up to a maximum height/width of 3m x 2m.

You could look at the chinese tallow. We have a few of these here
in Perth, no idea how they would do in SA. Lovely structure, small
heart shaped leaves, light green with beautiful autumn colour. Flower
is a small candle-like thing, not colourful.. It is a smallish tree.
It will eventually outgrow your 3m limit, but it is pretty slow
growing.

I have heard people in the US refer to the chinese tallow as a pest
tree, but it certainly doesn't seem to grow weedlike here. Maybe
it is a different species with the same common name.

Ornamental Banana Tree Question. Ralph D. Gardening 0 26-05-2006 04:53 PM
ornamental Pear tree Linda Gardening 2 20-04-2005 03:28 AM
destructiveness of ornamental tree Mike Gardening 2 30-06-2004 03:08 PM
Ornamental Crabapple Tree Pruning Jim Schott Gardening 2 13-04-2004 03:02 AM
Looking for ornamental tree- help in ID The Popovics Gardening 4 16-07-2003 06:13 PM