Old 15-08-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hil hil is offline

Default Winter Scent

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mahonia in pots looks good. There are several varieties but the bog standard
"Sweet Charity" will be fine and can be hacked back if it becomes too large.
As a bonus you can munch the berries.

I have never heard that mahonia berries are edible. Have you eaten
them yourself? And remained well!!!