Old 15-08-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p. pleater p. pleater is offline

Default bland taste tomatoes

"MrBlueSkye" apbz91@noSpam dsl.pipex.com wrote in message

"Peter C" wrote in message
ups.com...

kenty;-) wrote:
I am growing a mixed selection of tomatoes in a greenhouse ie
costaluto,gardeners delight,sungold and others.They all seem to
taste very
similar.what determines the taste?
Cheers Keith

Variety of tomatoes grown. I have Gardeners Delight , Shirley and
Alicante Can taste the difference but must admit the taste does not
vary much apart from the Gardeners Delight are much sweeter
Taste Buds also come to mind! All are much tastier than some shop
bought ones
Peter.

My favourites for flavour are marmand and roma plum tomatoes
MBS

My three bankers this year were.......
Sweet Million, Shirley and Gourmet (Unwins seed). Truss-breaking
crops from all three and all with excellent flavour. I shall certainly
grow these again.
The only problems I had was split fruit, but this was my fault. By over
watering during very hot weather I over compensated when the containers
appeared to be too dry....... but apparently weren't.
Incidentally, I also applied two teaspoons of salt to each plant at
green fruit stage. I found this tip in an old archive decades old.
Apparently it's supposed to improve flavour... but I don't know whether
it worked cos I didn't have a comparison. It didn't do any harm though.

PP.