Old 16-08-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\)[_2_] David \(in Normandy\)[_2_] is offline

Default Freeze french beans?

As header, is it possible to pop fresh French beans from the allotment in
the freezer. Do they freeze OK like this?
Paul.

We tried freezing sliced French runner beans without blanching but they
didn't come out very well. Since then we always blanch them first and they
freeze fine. The key to blanching successfully seems to be to plunge only a
few at a time into boiling water for around 3 minutes, then plunge them into
cold water, then chill them in the fridge then into the freezer on fast
freeze. The less beans that are put into the boiling water in one go the
better as the water comes back to the boil quicker. The longer they linger
in the hot/boiling water the more they spoil.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk