Old 16-08-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Freeze french beans?

As header, is it possible to pop fresh French beans from the allotment
in the freezer. Do they freeze OK like this?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 16-08-2006, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote in message
As header, is it possible to pop fresh French beans from the allotment in
the freezer. Do they freeze OK like this?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

I tried it with a runner bean and the result was a very limp bean on
defreezing.
With your French ones it would be the same- I fear.
So the answer to your question is yes - but it will not defreeze to it's
original firm state.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-08-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As header, is it possible to pop fresh French beans from the allotment in
the freezer. Do they freeze OK like this?
Paul.

We tried freezing sliced French runner beans without blanching but they
didn't come out very well. Since then we always blanch them first and they
freeze fine. The key to blanching successfully seems to be to plunge only a
few at a time into boiling water for around 3 minutes, then plunge them into
cold water, then chill them in the fridge then into the freezer on fast
freeze. The less beans that are put into the boiling water in one go the
better as the water comes back to the boil quicker. The longer they linger
in the hot/boiling water the more they spoil.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...
As header, is it possible to pop fresh French beans from the allotment in
the freezer. Do they freeze OK like this?
Paul.

We tried freezing sliced French runner beans without blanching but they
didn't come out very well. Since then we always blanch them first and they
freeze fine. The key to blanching successfully seems to be to plunge only
a few at a time into boiling water for around 3 minutes, then plunge them
into cold water.

I would dry them before freezing so they do not freeze in a solid mass.

Sue W.

Old 17-08-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote this in , I, Marvo, say :

As header, is it possible to pop fresh French beans from the
allotment in the freezer. Do they freeze OK like this?
Paul.

We tried freezing sliced French runner beans without blanching but
they didn't come out very well. Since then we always blanch them
first and they freeze fine. The key to blanching successfully seems
to be to plunge only a few at a time into boiling water for around 3
minutes, then plunge them into cold water, then chill them in the
fridge then into the freezer on fast freeze. The less beans that are
put into the boiling water in one go the better as the water comes
back to the boil quicker. The longer they linger in the hot/boiling
water the more they spoil.

Since I'm lurking ...

Less than 3 minutes IMHO, and very hot fully boiling water. Maybe one
minute. Then before freezing, spin dry them in a salad spinner or in the
washing machine in a muslin bag (make sure the washing machine is clean!)

It works very well.

Old 17-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered User

Hi Paul, in my experience with freezing your harvested vegetables, French Beans are one of several vegetables that freeze very well without blanching. I just top and tail them and then put them into freezer bags and freeze. When required don't defrost just put them into saucepan of water with a pinch of salt and cook in the usual way, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com

Freeze broad beans or dry them? Baz[_7_] United Kingdom 3 20-12-2015 10:54 AM
french beans hillier United Kingdom 15 29-02-2004 06:46 AM
Climbing French Beans - making a come back WasTa United Kingdom 6 25-09-2003 06:44 PM
Silly question about climbing french beans: swroot United Kingdom 4 24-04-2003 06:56 PM
French Dwarf beans in a pot DP United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 09:45 AM