Old 17-08-2006, 01:53 PM posted to austin.gardening
jojo jojo is offline

Default Flameleaf Sumac

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
jojo wrote:
I really don't know how to handle them properly...

Thanks for any help,

jojo

Don't know about seeds, but I've read somewhere that these trees are easy
to transplant. You might get more instant gratification that way. Be
aware that they are not very long lived, though. I've had several come
and go since I've lived in my current location. Very colorful in the fall
and attact a lot of bees when they bloom, and the dead wood burns well in
the fireplace, although a little fast.

--
Gary Brady (who turns all of his yard waste into mulch or firewood)
Austin, TX

Well Gary, I've been watching this thing for 3 years.
There are just no offshoots anywhere to transplant.
The bush outside my office is HUGE, and so not an option.
I'll throw these things in a pot and leave them outside in the winter and
see if the sprout in the spring I guess.
Don't know what else to do.
I've heard about the short lifespan....still don't know how I feel about
that. I'm looking for instant gratification.
This bush outside my office was only knee high when we moved in, now it is
HUGE
(guess you got that huh? ;-))

I don't have a wood burning fireplace, but they will work great in the
chiminea (sp?)

thanks,
jojo