Old 15-08-2006, 03:57 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Flameleaf Sumac

Hi all,

This group helped me to identify this plant outside my office last year!
(thanks all)

I never could find one to purchase, so I have waited patiently for it to
flower.
Now, I have seeds!

Now, the next step for my brown thumb....what do I do with the seeds?
My ideal would be to have 5 or 6 of these to plan in the spring.

Do I pot them now?
wait till spring?

I really don't know how to handle them properly...
Thanks for any help,

jojo

Old 17-08-2006, 02:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

jojo wrote:
I really don't know how to handle them properly...

Thanks for any help,

jojo

Don't know about seeds, but I've read somewhere that these trees are
easy to transplant. You might get more instant gratification that way.
Be aware that they are not very long lived, though. I've had several
come and go since I've lived in my current location. Very colorful in
the fall and attact a lot of bees when they bloom, and the dead wood
burns well in the fireplace, although a little fast.

--
Gary Brady (who turns all of his yard waste into mulch or firewood)
Austin, TX

Old 17-08-2006, 01:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
jojo wrote:
I really don't know how to handle them properly...

Thanks for any help,

jojo

Don't know about seeds, but I've read somewhere that these trees are easy
to transplant. You might get more instant gratification that way. Be
aware that they are not very long lived, though. I've had several come
and go since I've lived in my current location. Very colorful in the fall
and attact a lot of bees when they bloom, and the dead wood burns well in
the fireplace, although a little fast.

--
Gary Brady (who turns all of his yard waste into mulch or firewood)
Austin, TX

Well Gary, I've been watching this thing for 3 years.
There are just no offshoots anywhere to transplant.
The bush outside my office is HUGE, and so not an option.
I'll throw these things in a pot and leave them outside in the winter and
see if the sprout in the spring I guess.
Don't know what else to do.
I've heard about the short lifespan....still don't know how I feel about
that. I'm looking for instant gratification.
This bush outside my office was only knee high when we moved in, now it is
HUGE
(guess you got that huh? ;-))

I don't have a wood burning fireplace, but they will work great in the
chiminea (sp?)

thanks,
jojo

Old 19-08-2006, 04:52 AM posted to austin.gardening

jojo wrote:
Well Gary, I've been watching this thing for 3 years.
There are just no offshoots anywhere to transplant.
The bush outside my office is HUGE, and so not an option.
I'll throw these things in a pot and leave them outside in the winter and
see if the sprout in the spring I guess.
Don't know what else to do.
I've heard about the short lifespan....still don't know how I feel about
that. I'm looking for instant gratification.
This bush outside my office was only knee high when we moved in, now it is
HUGE
(guess you got that huh? ;-))

I don't have a wood burning fireplace, but they will work great in the
chiminea (sp?)

thanks,
jojo

Give it a shot, it can't hurt. When you plant them in the ground, plant
them around the edges of the yard where you'll get the most effect from
the fall color. And when they die, I'll bet you'll have more.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Mulch/Posion Sumac?? Shellie Cahill Gardening 2 09-06-2004 10:55 AM
Germination of Flameleaf acanthus animaux Texas 2 13-01-2004 03:36 AM
[IBC] African Sumac Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 0 04-01-2004 07:34 PM
[IBC] African Sumac Iris Cohen Bonsai 2 04-01-2004 06:21 PM
does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)? griffon Gardening 1 03-04-2003 01:32 AM