Old 20-08-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Shallot Preserve

John wrote:
I'm looking for ways other than drying to preserve shallots and garlic.
I find that a certain percentage of my annual harvest dries up to the
point of empty paperlike husks by the following spring. Thought that by
drying some and preserving the remainder I might avoid the waste
entirely and open up some other culinary avenues as well.

So how do you do it, just put the entire bulbs in the freezer, or do you
chop them and put them up in jars of vinegar, or what?

Thanks,

J.

You might be keeping them in the house, which is too warm and dry in
the winter. Try the garage. My garlic and multiplier onions last until
the garlic shoots are ready in march, and could clearly last longer
than that.