Old 19-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Chilli Seeds

"Charlie" wrote in message
Ok, I have a few questions! This is my first "official" post to the group
so um, hi, I'm Charlotte, I'm nearly 18, live in Essex blah blah blah
blah....

I've got some tomato plants and some pepper plants on the go from seeds

and
I'm just starting to see them! Inspired by my semi success I have a

strange
urge to grow Chilli's. Are they suitable for growing here in Essex? The
other thing is, I can't seem to find seeds for them. Could I remove the
seeds from a shop bought chilli and plant them? Do I sound like a
completely over enthusiastic newbie?

Hi Charlie,

In brief, You can grow them anywhere in the UK. Search back a few weeks and
I'm sure there were posts from people growing them outdoors in Scotland.
Obviously the shorter your summer, the smaller your crop. Any garden centre
should be selling packets of seed. I usually get a packet of mixed seed so
that I can grow a few of each variety. Yes, you can remove the seeds from
shop bought chillies. As mentioned before, let them get to 3-4 pairs of
leaves and then remove the growing tip to make them bushy. They also grow
fine indoors on the kitchen windowsill. I feed with a standard liquid tomato
feed.

Martin