Old 19-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Charlie

Default Chilli Seeds

Ok, I have a few questions! This is my first "official" post to the group
so um, hi, I'm Charlotte, I'm nearly 18, live in Essex blah blah blah
blah....

I've got some tomato plants and some pepper plants on the go from seeds and
I'm just starting to see them! Inspired by my semi success I have a strange
urge to grow Chilli's. Are they suitable for growing here in Essex? The
other thing is, I can't seem to find seeds for them. Could I remove the
seeds from a shop bought chilli and plant them? Do I sound like a
completely over enthusiastic newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie.

--
www.lowfidelity.org.uk
RCTQ Double Princess of Britain

---

Old 19-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"Charlie" wrote in message
Ok, I have a few questions! This is my first "official" post to the group
so um, hi, I'm Charlotte, I'm nearly 18, live in Essex blah blah blah
blah....

I've got some tomato plants and some pepper plants on the go from seeds

and
I'm just starting to see them! Inspired by my semi success I have a

strange
urge to grow Chilli's. Are they suitable for growing here in Essex? The
other thing is, I can't seem to find seeds for them. Could I remove the
seeds from a shop bought chilli and plant them? Do I sound like a
completely over enthusiastic newbie?

Hi Charlie,

In brief, You can grow them anywhere in the UK. Search back a few weeks and
I'm sure there were posts from people growing them outdoors in Scotland.
Obviously the shorter your summer, the smaller your crop. Any garden centre
should be selling packets of seed. I usually get a packet of mixed seed so
that I can grow a few of each variety. Yes, you can remove the seeds from
shop bought chillies. As mentioned before, let them get to 3-4 pairs of
leaves and then remove the growing tip to make them bushy. They also grow
fine indoors on the kitchen windowsill. I feed with a standard liquid tomato
feed.

Martin

Old 19-03-2003, 09:44 PM
JimM

You can grow chillis in the UK no problem in fact it was the first thing I
ever grew from scratch. I've got a dozen bushes on the go this year !

I assume you can grow them from the seeds from shop bought fruit but I
bought a chilli variety pack of seeds to give me a nice selection. Can't
remember exactly where I got them but it would have been either one of the
garden centers along the A127 or B&Q/Homebase in the Basildon area.

HTH

Jim

Old 19-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Charlie

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
news
In brief, You can grow them anywhere in the UK. Search back a few weeks

and
I'm sure there were posts from people growing them outdoors in Scotland.
Obviously the shorter your summer, the smaller your crop. Any garden

centre
should be selling packets of seed. I usually get a packet of mixed seed so
that I can grow a few of each variety. Yes, you can remove the seeds from
shop bought chillies. As mentioned before, let them get to 3-4 pairs of
leaves and then remove the growing tip to make them bushy. They also grow
fine indoors on the kitchen windowsill. I feed with a standard liquid

tomato
feed.

Martin

I'll have to go to B&Q sometime, we don't go there so much, as we have
Writtle Agricultural College on our doorstep and they need all the support
they can get! They also usually seem to be better quality than chain shops.
I'll have another go at the packet of seeds, hopefully with more luck! They
don't get too tall or bushy then if they grow on a windowsill? I always
thought they would be big plants for some reason!

Charlie.

---

Old 19-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Martin Sykes

"Charlie" wrote in message
don't get too tall or bushy then if they grow on a windowsill? I always
thought they would be big plants for some reason!

Depends on the variety but you can keep it to a bushy 1-1.5ft without too
much problem.

Martin

Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
bigboard

Charlie wrote:
Ok, I have a few questions! This is my first "official" post to the group
so um, hi, I'm Charlotte, I'm nearly 18, live in Essex blah blah blah
blah....

I've got some tomato plants and some pepper plants on the go from seeds and
I'm just starting to see them! Inspired by my semi success I have a strange
urge to grow Chilli's. Are they suitable for growing here in Essex? The
other thing is, I can't seem to find seeds for them. Could I remove the
seeds from a shop bought chilli and plant them? Do I sound like a
completely over enthusiastic newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie.

I'm in North Essex and am growing chillies for the first time. I got the
seeds from the Wyevale garden centre in Braintree if that's any help. I
germinated them in a heated propagator in seed compost, but anywhere
warm would work. Once they started to get their first true leaves I
transplanted them into multi-purpose compost in 3" pots. They're now
sitting in a sunny mini conservatory, and doing very nicely except where
a kitten has trodden on them.

Good luck!

Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Rufus

I have tried saving seeds from shop bought hot peppers and have had moderate
success growing them up to the green stage. However, over the years, I have
found that to ripen the really hot chillies successfully, they MUST have
warmth and lots of it. A greenhouse or a south facing windowsill is ideal
for the best results. Thompson & Morgan 2003 seed catalogue has at least ten
hot peppers and a good selection of mild, sweet varieties. Choose a variety
that will do well in lower temperatures but still give you some heat when
cooked. Try T&M's Hero F1. Hybrid.

Best of luck,
Rufus
-------------------------

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Rufus
writes
I have tried saving seeds from shop bought hot peppers and have had moderate
success growing them up to the green stage. However, over the years, I have
found that to ripen the really hot chillies successfully, they MUST have
warmth and lots of it. A greenhouse or a south facing windowsill is ideal
for the best results.

I agree, we grow ours in the GH.

Thompson & Morgan 2003 seed catalogue has at least ten
hot peppers and a good selection of mild, sweet varieties

Simpson's Seeds do a big range of chilli seeds.

Simpsons Seeds
The Walled Garden
Wiltshire
UK

Phone Number:

01985 845004

E-mail Address:

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Jon

I agree also with the GH idea. However, a word of warning. My wife
successfully grew 15 or 20 plants from shop bought seeds on the window sill.
10 days ago I planted them out into the green house at 12 to 18 inches tall.
Three nights of frost and they are looking sad:-) I hope for their sake (and
mine) they stand it and recover.
Jonny
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in message ...
In message , Rufus
writes

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Jon
writes
[...]

Is the GH heated? - it sound like it isn't. (if it is then I suggest a
better heater or insulation.)

It's really to early in the year (in most of the UK anyway ) to really
to be able to put out plants such as chillis, toms etc in an unheated
GH.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Little Badger

Charlie
I am an avid chilli grower and eater and have been growing chillies since I
was 11 years old (now 34)!

I grow my chillies in an electrically heated greenhouse but have grown them
in an unheated greenhouse with much success!

I currently have nine different types on the go and I am currently looking
into growing wild Tepin next year!

Email me with details of what you are after (mild, hot or atomic) and I will
send you some seeds free of charge!

Yours
Badger

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Best Time to Plant Chilli Seeds Wildlife Camera United Kingdom 7 25-11-2012 10:24 AM
Chilli Seeds tecc2009 United Kingdom 3 08-01-2009 08:58 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM